Sunday 30 August 2009

BZZZZZ BZZZZZZ ARGH! BZZZZZZZ

The annoyance of perfection has graced me over the years between the constant public flatulence and general slacker behaviour. It has take many forms including pencil cases, food display and collectible items (like my T2 replica bust and a tiny guitar with the dark side of the moon cover on it. The one thing I never seem to get right is looking after the things I should worry about. Big, expensive things with lots of sentimental value like my fucking guitar. Sound annoyed? That's probably because after three years of writing songs and a lifetime of generally not finishing a THING I am heading to the studio tomorrow and record my album. Why am I annoyed, you say? Well...it's not a big problem but my goddamn G string is buzzing. Chords are OK, but I have one song that lets rip on the G string and all I get is BZZZZZ BZZZZZZ motherFUCKING BZZZZZZZZZ.

But, alas, I am not angry. Cos tomorrow I'm recording my album...YAY

It's quite a long story actually. I tend to try and not say those words because you often get to a certain point and stop typing, or atleast want to stop typing and wrap things up pretty sharp-ish. I will try not to in the story of MY album.

OK, so where I am now is about two and half/three years from the beginning. In the beginning, I was Noen Thomas (see below) and I began writing this dark, almost tuneless dirge that went no where. I played a few shows (peaking at my second) and it fell apart as soon as I realised it was crap because I was on my own playing an acoustic guitar with no backing. I wanted a band but no one wanted to play dark, tuneless folk music and no one really cared. So I scrapped that.

Remarkably I wrote a track called 'Tonight Could Mean Forever' and it was a haunting, gothic lullaby that I quite enjoyed. Following this was 'Tell Her I'll Be Coming Home' and 'The Flowergirl Passes Me By'. I thought each one was a highlight of my musicianship and jammed with a cool chick pianist/singer/songwriter called many things and it was cool, however because of uni, it didn't really work out and we called it a day (sort of). By this time I've already written loads of songs really quickly to add on to the previous three and entitled the bunch of new material "Unaccountable Beauty" under the moniker of Aphrodite's Son. I played a show at Lee Ray's Wig and Pen night and it was OK. I was a bit shakey and the lyrics were on a stand in front of me due to them being baby songs that I didn't know too well. Because I didn't feel as if it went too well, my mind went over several other ideas to make music. I thought now would be the perfect time to head back to being in a band. I was listening to a shed load of Velvet Underground and Bob Dylan and the garage sound kept coming back into my mind. So I posted on a local music forum to look for similar minded musicians. I found a drummer, a couple of guitarists and two bassists. One bassist felt he was too old (he later got back to me, but he was more into shoegaze where I was heading into a much more psychedelic headspace) and another was a metalhead jackass. I remember that one guitarist was nice enough to keep getting back in touch, but by that time no one else seemed bothered. The other guitarist didn't want to know anymore and the drummer flaked the morning we were supposed to meet. However, one drummer did get in touch and we jammed a few times before he told me he was no longer bothered. I also played a really weird show with my electric guitar but a couple of people dug it because even though I was noisy and had no rhythm the whole time, I was much more tuneful than anyone else, so it was cool.

Back to square one, I began writing again. A few folky/bluesy things popped out as well as a few random pop songs and ballads. Once I hit 10 I performed them live two or three times as a set (the first time I had ever done that) and agreed they would make a fine first LP. I DID change this grouping though, writing new songs and deleting one or two I felt were copies of other ones. I did like these a lot though and began jammed them with Casey (the pianist from before), Liam (a guitarist dude I knew from school and someone I had a very drunken, very funny night with a few months previously) and a drummer dude from the forum called Tom. The first rehearsal was incredible, the second even more so. Tom couldn't make the third so it was quiet and still awesome.

And tomorrow is the date of recording. The day this story (basically) comes to an end as it will be out my hands and into the hands of the mixer/masterer. Wish me luck now and pray that BZZZZZZZ won't fuck anything up :S

2 comments: